Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Backcountry skiing on crack!

"If you spend time in the backcountry skinning up to ski down, you should definitely check out the sport of randonee racing. It is backcountry skiing on crack and out of control."

The first Rando Races of the season are almost upon us:


If you're in CO, here is a bulletin from series sponsor, CAMP USA, about some clinics that help you "get up to speed" on rando racing:

GEAR UP FOR RANDO RACING

Bryan Wickenhauser, in conjunction with Boulder Performance Network (physical training professionals in Boulder, CO), will be leading a series of presentations and clinics on the rising sport of randonee ski racing throughout Colorado. Catch up with the tour at one of the following scheduled events.

-12/11/08: Rock & Roll Sports, Gunnison - 6:00p
-12/16/08: Boulder Rock Club, Boulder - 7:30p
-12/18/08: Boulder Nordic Sports, Boulder - 7:00p
-12/20/08: On-Snow Demo, Loveland Ski Resort - 7:30a
-12/27/08: Thin Air Sports, Mount Crested Butte - 5:30p
-1/23/09: REI, Boulder - 7:00p
-
January 2008 (date to be determined): The Alpineer, Crested Butte

The COSMIC (Colorado Ski Mountaineering Cup) Race Series schedule is also online at www.cosmicski.com



This is one of my own adventures when high on Rando Race Crack: COSMIC race-director Pete Swenson and I climbed and skied the Dead Dog Couloir on Torreys Pk in under 3 hours round trip from the bridge -on Rando Racing gear! This isn't a record, I'm sure, as we didn't have perfect conditions, but I bet it could be done under two hours...some day it will! I wasn't trying to prove a point, but just wanted to have more fun with my backcountry adventures. The benefits of racing are: getting fit, getting your system dialed, and having fun with other backcountry crackheads! I'd encourage everyone to try at least one race this winter, amongst all your backcountry touring, and I'm going to post a simple-but-effective training guide for the every-weekend-backcountry skier to get ready for faster racing that adds up to more backcountry runs. Coming in a few days...

2 comments:

evan said...

I almost sorta made it to a rando clinic at Loveland ski area last saturday, but it was cold, I toured Berthoud instead. Thanks for the pointers, I want to contribute in some way to the useful knowledge that has amassed from rando racing, though I'm just not a competitor. I do own a full dynafit setup, which I have not yet used. I may bring the dynafits to Idaho Jan 15 to marry my brother someplace in the side country. (The airlines are getting stingy with weight these days.)

Le Pistoir said...

@ evan.
I didn't know it was legal to marry your brother in Idaho. Congratulations, you two ;) Light is right, especially w/ air travel these days!

If you want to pick up some tips from racers that will help your backcountry trips gain more vert or just go smoother, stay tuned. I'll have a series of posts showing how easy it is to train for racing while doing what you love, and getting many benefits for your non-racing BC outings...