Sunday, September 21, 2008

18 hours ahead -and feelin' it!

Well,
All I know is I boarded a plane in San Fran and we flew for a long time, but it was kinda disorienting so I don't know if I should fully trust my instincts. It was still dark when we landed, even though my clock said 1100 hours and people were speaking English but in funny accents all around me, plus the parallel-universe Today show on the tube says it's 800 Monday morning. So I'm pretty sure I got on the right plane and am now in New Zealand. Should get more confirmation in just a couple hours as I catch a flight south to Queenstown (MAP) and look for the big peaks of the Southern Alps out the window: Mt Cook, Mt Aspiring, Mt Tasman...
The thing I was struck by just after disembarking here in Auckland is how bike- and pedestrian-friendly the airport and city seem. This bike stand was right outside the int'l terminal:
From Flying to New Zealand Sept 08

I guess if you are living a car-free, but not plane-free, lifestyle, you will need to reassemble your bike on arrival at the airport so you can bike home.
Also, for you committed bike commuters, look at the cruisers being used on the ramp to move from gate to gate by the ground crew (I think they could use some handlebar tassles, don't you?):
From Flying to New Zealand Sept 08


Upcoming plans: well, I arrive to Queenstown later today (middle of the night, Sunday in the US). The immediate plans include settling, getting bearings, and getting to know the town they call "the adventure capital of New Zealand". Apres` la, there will be some skiing, a hitchiking visit to a brewpub in Wanaka and then a moment to plan our big peak trip...stay tuned!

No comments: