Saturday, September 20, 2008

Road Trip is over!

Leg one complete: drive to friend's house in Oakland. It really wasn't easier than flying (19 hours of driving), and it was more expensive ($200 in gas alone!) than taking Amtrak ($120 for a 34-hour train ride and 350-lb gear allowance). Nevertheless, I made it, leaving 8:30 last night after a few hiccups in the departure schedule: lost my phone, ran out of gas while running final errands, and everything just took longer than planned -natch. Slept briefly under the stars in WY near Wamsutter. I will soon post some pictures that chronicle parts of the trip (missing: the beautiful foliage by Park City and the endless stretch of straight road on I-80 through the salt flats in western Utah). I knew I was close to California when everyone started driving really fast and passing on the right or left like they were trying to be fair and balanced. Arrived at 30 min. past midnite and stayed up to begin adjusting the sleep schedule to NZ time (GMT-12). Now, just need to get some skins...

No comments: